Tidy SWA (appears to be a duplicate thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Running 6mm SWA outside. It's going from an adaptable box.

It's also going into conduit for a short run.

The SWA needs a 25mm gland on it I think at the adaptable box. But the conduit also looks like it has a 25mm gland...

Do I have to just push the conduit up on the gland so it's as neat/close up to the box as possible or is there some tidy way of making it look smarter?

Do I need the SWA gland if I use conduit and a gland? I assumed I'd need the earth ring or something on the outside but maybe not?

Sponsored Links
SWA must be terminated using SWA glands.
The SWA needs to be earthed correctly i.e. by using a gland+banjo or a gland+piranha at it's supply end.
What is the conduit for, it is to cover the black SWA?
25mm gland sounds a bit big, how many core SWA?

6mm 3 core SWA, it's a long underground external building run

Conduit is to hide the SWA and for a bit of extra protection and to make it very obvious.

Sponsored Links
I suppose a 6" water pipe is conduit, but as to putting SWA up a small pipe of 25mm that seems rather odd, why would you want to have SWA in such a small conduit? SWA it normally put on tray work not through conduit.

I have stripped back a fair length of SWA and sent the inner cores only through conduit to get into a porta cabin together with an earth wire from gland to consumer unit I suppose that is putting SWA through conduit, but that does not sound like what you are doing.

I remember my boss who loved conduit saying how conduit did not require as many cleats as SWA but can't really agree with that conduit is so unforgiving if you get the position slightly out seen it so many times, all wired up, then fitters realise it is 3 inches out, SWA not a problem, conduit start all over again. I hated the stuff.

Someone suggested cable guard to me but I have a bend and I think the conduit will look better

6mm 3 core will fit into a 20mm gland.

To connect to metal conduit, a standard SWA gland will thread directly into a metal conduit box or coupler so that the conduit is electrically connected to the SWA armour. Depending on length it would be possible to continue the inner cores through the conduit without cutting or joining them.
For plastic, some kind of box will be required to contain the connection to the armour.

25mm plastic conduit could just be placed over the outside of the SWA before glands are fitted, but this would not really achieve anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back