Lighting cable for block wall - SWA/T&E/conduit and adaptable box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new block wall and new driveway going in.

I expect to put some form of LED down lighters fixed near the top of the wall. The wall is around 2m high.

I've got individual runs of 1.5mm 3core SWA running to the light positions on the wall.

The block wall will be rendered and I expect to chase out channels beforehand for the cables to go up to the top.

What would you recommend at the top? Something like this? with appropriate gland for the SWA, and the lamp connecting into the box?

https://www.superlecdirect.com/wiri...a-wiska-combi-junction-box-85x49x51-mm-white/

Or just have the SWA sticking out of the wall and connected directly into the lamp. Assuming the lamp can gland SWA directly.

Or run a conduit or trunking up the wall and put the SWA through that? Best flexibility.

Or mount the box at the bottom of the wall, terminate the SWA, and run flex in conduit up to the lamp?

The driveway will be block paving, so I can always get back under it if necessary. I won't want to be messing with the wall though, so think conduit might be a good idea just in case I need to change the cable.

Any other recommendations?

I've had 2 electricians come to quote, but not committed to one yet. Both have said they're happy to work with me to terminate and/or test with me doing the cable runs.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you can terminate the SWA directly into the light then that would be my prefered option, the few terminations (especially outside) the less likely it will fail in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back