Questions about swa cable and outdoor electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new place and wish to look at the outdoor lighting circuit.

It looks like the light system is wired with swa 2 core cable to Wiska junction boxes in series however the cable only seems to be earthed at the start where it exits a outdoor rcd/mcb and plastic glands have been used which seems incorrect.

I am aware both sides of the swa cable should be earthed. There appears to be about 15 Wiska boxes. It would make sense to me that each box has the metal external sheath of the swa linked by an internal Wiska earthing plate but as it is 2 core cable how do you earn the cable/ gland plate? Do you have to use an earthing rod? If so does each Wiska box need to have a external earthing rod or just the last - this way if the wire is severed there is still continuity both sides with the earth.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's two core SWA, the armour provides the earth, so the armour has to be connected to earth at the origin, and maintained at all junction boxes throughout the circuit.

You cannot use ordinary plastic glands on SWA because you need to earth the armour. In fact, in your case, the armour is the only means of earthing - so brass metal SWA glands are needed.

If using plastic enclosures, the earth through the armour can be maintained either by using metal banjos and a roofing nut and bolt - which is the old fashioned method and is liable to corrosion. You would connect the earth wire of whatever you are supplying to this.

The best and modern way to use an 'earthing nut' instead of a lock nut inside each plastic enclosure, with earth wires connected to this via a ring terminal crimp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back