renewing an exterior mains run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old mains run to the shed was installed using PVC conduit fixed to a brick wall. The PVC has deteriorated with UV and I'd like to replace it.

Looking more closely, the installation looks a bit hokey. There is a short length of SWA from the fuse box to a junction box on the wall, then PVC conduit to the shed.

Couple of things to note, the SWA incoming uses plastic glands, not brass and so far I can see there is zero earth continuity from the steel sheath. The conduit goes into the box with no proper fittings, just some silicone sealant!?!. So moisture is getting in of course. All connected up with a large choc block.

I mean WTF...it couldn't have been a good electrician who put this in, could it?

My questions are these...
  • can I still use PVC conduit fixed to the wall? or is that not good practice?
  • if I can, I havn't seen a fitting from conduit to junction box on electrical sites
  • should I replace the plastic glands with brass glands and do a proper job on the earth continuity?
  • or bite the bullet and replace the run with SWA?
  • if it's just renewal, do I still need a qualified electrician to check everything?

Sponsored Links
I mean WTF...it couldn't have been a good electrician who put this in, could it?
No.

But given some of the horror stories we see here (and questions from numpties who think they are one) it could have been done by someone who thought he was one.

• can I still use PVC conduit fixed to the wall? or is that not good practice?
It isn't good practice.

• if I can, I havn't seen a fitting from conduit to junction box on electrical sites
20mm conduit bushes are widely available, surely?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20FMA.html

• should I replace the plastic glands with brass glands and do a proper job on the earth continuity?
If you keep the junction box then you must.

• or bite the bullet and replace the run with SWA?
That would be best.

• if it's just renewal, do I still need a qualified electrician to check everything?
Not legally, but it would be a good idea to have it checked to make sure it's OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back