Games room in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fairly modern loft with trusses / struts etc (not quite sure what they are called sorry), I want to create a games room where my son can play video games and 3D print etc, it’s not going to be a bedroom. The area is boarded and nothing heavier than the existing stuff up there will be going in the room.

Is it just a case of insulating between the trusses and plaster boarding on the face of the wood? Anything else I need to consider please. Picture for ref, not my loft as we have a plumber fitting a boiler in there today and it would be weird to go up and take pictures.

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
to create a games room where my son can play video games and 3D print etc, it’s not going to be a bedroom.
I'm afraid in the world of building control, this isn't a grey area.
As soon as a space is used for occupation, it is classed as a habitable space - it doesn't matter that it is not a bedroom.
Habitable spaces bring many extra stipulations - principally involving work to prevent the spread of fire and safe escape routes.

Creating a 'loft storage room', however, would be a non-habitable space.
You could insulate and board - but a ventilation gap should be left between the insulation and roofing membrane; this should allow cross ventilation from eaves vents, up to a ventilated ridge and across to the other side, with a vapour barrier placed between plasterboards and insulation.

If extra activities should occasionally occur in your 'loft storage room', it really would still be worth considering fire egress routes, etc.
(And mitigating the risk from high risk activities, such as 3D printing).

Attached is a document I've found useful; it provides information for full loft conversions, but also shows the way to do things properly, if you are only attempting some of the work.

Attachments

• Loft_conversions_and_building_regulations (1) (1).pdf
    943.7 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
It's really where you fit a permanent stair you run into legalities, otherwise common sense must be applied, think about if a fire should occur (they always happen to everyone else remember), will the loft hatch be left open and ladder down, will the person in the loft hear the smoke alarms, maybe late at night with headphones on etc. This assumes that the existing structure is left intact, if you want to touch that then you'll be in quite tricky territory unless you have the structural alterations signed off by Building Control when you come to sell, not to mention your obligations to your insurance company and mortgage provider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back