gaming room advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
sorry but this is yet another loft question

my ceiling joists are 3x2 do you think it would be safe to cross bastten with 2x2 and board with 18mm chipboard flooring to create a room my my son to play games console ??

many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
A lot of weight you are adding to very spindly joists, and I'm sure some kind of furniture would end up there too, so even without asking about joist-span, my opinion is no.

hopefull with a bit more info i might get some help :D

the red line on the plan shows a load bearing wall
could i run 8x2 joists (or less) from the wall plate to the wall from either side and then overboard to create the game room.
all that will go in is a tv or prob a projector and screen 2 games consoles and a couple of gaming chairs and maybe a hifi to get better sound :D

many thanks

all that will go in is a tv or prob a projector and screen 2 games consoles and a couple of gaming chairs and maybe a hifi to get better soun

So how many will you allow up there to use that ? Four, five, six...?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply
no more than 4 kids is the plan
but then again you never know what the future brings

do you think it will take the load ? the red wall runs right through the house and after a quick search i thought 8x2 (at 16" centres) would be enough as the span is about 10' one side and 11'6" on the other.

Hi, i'm a DIYer, not a pro firstly, and i'd echo what MW said.... kids grow up fast, and your son and 3 or 4 chubby teens could be a lot of weight...

Could you get any steel in there ? A couple of those and they'll take any weight... won't they? ;)

steels would have to be in sections and would cost too much

checking span tables i see that C16 170X47 @ 400 ctrs should be fine for the span 3.4mtr

cant see why people think its a prob ?

can someone please help me figure this out :confused:

cant see why people think its a prob ?

checking span tables i see that C16 170X47 @ 400 ctrs should be fine for the span 3.4mtr

Well that's fine. Do it and tell us how it goes.

can someone please help me figure this out

But you've checked the span-tables and you are confident it's o.k. So what further help can you need ?

I'm not being funny. I must have done something wrong and I want to know what which is why I'm asking. Am I mis-interpreting the tables or is it no good using the exterior wall to spine wall for the span distance ?

I've been out of the game (joiner) for 10 yrs so I'm asking for advice. I've not made up my mind at all. :)

oh well
thanks for the info so far
but im still none the wiser as to why 8x2 joists are no good to span wall plate to internal load bearing wall. 3.4m @ 400 ctrs

guess the project will be on hold again until i can get more info :cry: :cry:

I imagine it's not just the spans that may concern people but also safety aspects such as escape in case of fire , suitable and safe stairs etc.

Anyway back to the joists. what is the safe permissible loading for your situation in those tables ?

Dunno to be honest.
Just looked at the span and the joist sizes.
But I really don't plan on too much weight going up there just gaming stuff.

Maybe I should have just said it was for storage eh lol :D

Maybe I should have just said it was for storage eh lol

Say what you like to us - it's you that's doing this .

Have to say that for an ex-joiner you don't seem very clued-up on joists etc ( even if it was 10 years ago ). The fact that the tables say a given size for span is o.k. doesn't mean that it will carry anything you want to put up there. It is for a given max loading which will presumably be there somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back