Gap filling when applying a plasterboard to an uneven wall.

So you definitely rate the foam over any kind of hard setting powder then?
That depends. We use both, but prefer to use dry wall adhesive. It's just more practical, from a plasterers point of view. Especially with out of plumb walls.

Sponsored Links
That depends. We use both, but prefer to use dry wall adhesive. It's just more practical, from a plasterers point of view. Especially with out of plumb walls.

On timber studs? I did ask Knauf about using their adhesive for doing this, but they firmly recommended against it, presumably because the movement of the studs will crack it off the timber, and then it is only being held by paper.

Sponsored Links
One of the (many) things I don't "get".....

...why, when someone goes to all of the trouble of installing vapour membranes, taping joints, and the like, is it then ok to screw straight through it - in multiple locations - to actually fix the boards?

Is it just that the screw holes are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, or just realistically unavoidable (i.e. "least worst of the options")?

One of the (many) things I don't "get".....

...why, when someone goes to all of the trouble of installing vapour membranes, taping joints, and the like, is it then ok to screw straight through it - in multiple locations - to actually fix the boards?

Is it just that the screw holes are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, or just realistically unavoidable (i.e. "least worst of the options")?

Generally you can use butyl tape which self seals around the screw and is your best bet at keeping things actually sealed.

However, the whole idea of insulating internally is a compromise. All your vapour barriers and so on will fail over time (micro holes in the plastic, tears when renovating, etc) and will let issues in. In colder countries, we really should ideally be insulating externally, period. That way you don't need to deal with any of this crap, it's all done on the outside, and moisture on the inside is collected via air extraction systems.

Of course that costs a bomb when not doing it on new builds, so that's why we compromise with internal insulation. But, as energy efficiency standards get tighter and tighter, these small issues that can be ignored in a regular renovation become much bigger deals as they make a bigger impact on the performance you get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back