Gap in newly installed Bifold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a newly installed bifold 5 panel doors fitted on a new extension. I noticed a gap at the top, where I can see daylight, feel draft and hear noise. The window fitters came and packed inside the frame. It was fine for a while. However I now see a gap not all the way to top but about a 20cm gap. My doors are south facing. In the sun the door expands, closing the gap. In the evening the gap reappears and it gets difficult or tight to push the lever all the way up in to locking position. The window fitters came back and readjusted the locking jambs but still not solved the problem. Any idea what would be the solution. The window technician packed the frame last November 2023, returned in December 2023 saying that they needed to extend or add a new trim to close the gap, that technician left the company, so they sent another one last week. He adjusted the door lock jamb..Its becoming increasingly frustrating chasing the window company. What are my legal options? Should I go to FENSA. The company have given me the certificate covering the bifold door.

Attachments

• 20240213_090608.jpg
    20240213_090608.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240212_164234.jpg
    20240212_164234.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240212_164047.jpg
    20240212_164047.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
You'll need to pursue it with the company, Fensa will be no use at all. Assuming you know the make, you might find the manufacturer has a rep in your area.

You shouldn’t need to adjust door keep to align, the door itself needs toe and heeling for correct fit.

Fensa are not a guarantee or warranty provider nor do they chase installers over instances like this as it's a workmanship issue, whilst the company is still trading your only option is to hound them, they are legally obliged to repair this, hurry though because their guarantee may only cover workmanship for 12 months, everything else might be 5 and 10 years like glass and locks

You can only claim on your IBG once the installer has ceased trading, whilst still trading you need to hound them.

Do they advertise locally on FB maybe, threaten to leave poor Google/trust pilot reviews

Sponsored Links
You shouldn’t need to adjust door keep to align, the door itself needs toe and heeling for correct fit.
Toe and heeling is only for when the gap is across the top not down the side, I suspect the doors need pulling apart on the hinges certainly at the top but not sure why that would be, surely the frame isn't wider at the top?

Toe and heeling is only for when the gap is across the top not down the side, I suspect the doors need pulling apart on the hinges certainly at the top but not sure why that would be, surely the frame isn't wider at the top?
OP said “ I noticed a gap at the top, where I can see daylight,”

Hi All, thanks for your responses. There is a gap around that corner of the door at the top as well and gets tighter towards the hinges both at top and bottom. In the daytime in the sun, the gap tightens to the extent there is no gap. I wasn't able to post a video because of large size, but when you look at it from outside and I close the door, it doesn't close tight against the frame there is a bit of play, where I have to push harder to close the gap. It's like the kitchen cabinet door where you adjust the hinge to align the door. Is there something similar I can adjust on the hinge?

Attachments

• 20240212_164234.jpg
    20240212_164234.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240218_174639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240218_174639_Gallery.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 23

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back