Gap under external doorframe to sub floor! What do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Any advise please?
Moved into my 'new' 1930s end of terace house and found a potential problem.
I cleared out some mud and weeds from the area in front of the bottom of the doorframe and found that there is actually a gap to the subfloor area! Water could therefore be coming in and I am not sure if there could already be damp down there or underneath the tiles.
I can actually physically feel the rafters underneath and after lifting a floorboard on the oposite site of the kitchen I found I could see light come through from the gap!
Can anyone tell me if this is normal in anyway??? Should I try and fill this up with cement?
I attached some picture.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Looks like there should be a sill there - perhaps it's rotted away... in which case you need to deal with the damp, and any timber well treated with cuprinol green or similar.

You could possibly cast in a concrete sill if it can stand on the brickwork, but it needs to be mixed and cured well so it is hard and strong.

That concrete path outside is too high, so that water will run into the house instead of away from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back