Patio door cill to external brick gap, should it be there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20 year old patio doors, standard opening ones both sides (not sure what they are called).

The cill attached to the bottom of the frame, there is a gap I can get the tips of my fingers in and feel the damp proof membrane sat on the bricks between the cill and the brick tops (1cm perhaps).

There is nothing there, not fallen out or crumbled out, been like that from day one I suspect. This runs the full length of the frame at the bottom. The back door has some sort of mastic in the same area (that is crumbling out). All fitted from new at the build in 1998.

Years working away meant I ignored the cold area inside the door here.

The frame has a slight movement when I flex it from the inside. The interior trim around the wood flooring to the door frame removed and the gap is full of insect carcasses (hoovered out), and other insect detritus but no noticeable damp. The cold air coming through stopped with a bead of silicone on the inside for now and the temperature has risen several degrees in that area. Quite a draught. The area is still noticeable cooler though (ordinary digital clock with thermometer used so not super accurate, placed on the floor at the gap and trim replaced).

We will be getting new doors next year but can I fill the gap or is that a thing with cills?

Edit 6/12/18. No reply and not wanting to be rude and bumping. It will be getting filled with cement (repair pack from the usual suspect). The back door mastic stuff is crumbling out so that will be replaced as well. I can push a wire a fair distance into the cavity.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back