Gaps in mortar above sash window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the process of replacing a rotten fascia board that was behind my guttering. Once I'd taken the old one off, the gap in this photo is visible above the old sash window

20170702_151245.jpg

On the left there is a gap between the top row and the one below it. The gap above the sash window itself had a piece of wood which just sat across the top, the only thing holding it in place was the fascia board. That top row of brick move up and down a little if I poke something between the gaps.

I feel like this should be better supported somehow, what can I do to fix it, is there a DIY solution?

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Gareth2061, good evening.

There is only one way to say this, Your External lintel is missing???

There should be a Concrete reinforced Lintel in the gap between the two sides of the window and this [missing] Lintel would have restrained the [now loose, un-supported] brickwork, that you note as being easy to move.

Suggest you prevent access within a few meters of the window, one of the loose bricks may at any time fall out?? !!!

As for a DIY repair, yes very possible.

Find a Concrete Reinforced Lintel, length must be between the two gaps between the window reveals, above the window you can see that there are two small areas of brick missing it is in to that area that the new Concrete lintel must sit, the length shouls allow for about 10.mm of Cement mortar to be placed at each end of the Lintel. bed the lintel in Cement Mortar using slivers of slate to get the lintel to bed on to without squeezing out the wet mortar.

As for the lintels other dimensions? simply measure the gap between where the lintel is to rest on and the underside of the existing [un-stable] brick above the window

I assume that there was a timber Soffit that masked this missing Lintel?

Whoever left your Property in this condition is an absolute Cowboy!!!

As for the row of brick now un-supported, carefully remove them, two or three people needed to each hold on to a pair of the un-supported brick so none of them fall off and smash the window??

Replace the un-supported brick re-point as needed and Job done.

Finally when fitting the Concrete Lintel make sure that if there is an arrow on the Lintel it MUST point upwards or if the word TOP is scratched into the Lintel do as it asks,

Ken

If you cant' get a lintel of the right length, then you can cut one with an angle grinder that has a stone blade in it. This will go through the steel reinforcement as well as the concrete, albeit at a slowish rate.

Sponsored Links
Old properties may have had a timber lintel , probably rotted and shrank away from rain damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back