Fixing up sash windows

28 Jun 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fixing up some of our sash windows and need advice on two things.

1. One of the sills has gone a little rotten underneath where water has gotten in between the sill and stonework (pic below) how best to fill where I have removed the rotten wood, rest of sill is sound. Also is it best to use a silicone sealer for the gap between sill and stonework (along whole sill) or a wood filler(2 part).

2. A lot of the windows have a gap between the frame and brick, there is a bead of concrete which I presume once met up to the frame but maybe movement or something over the years has now left a gap. The largest gap is about 5 to 8mm with the smallest about 1 - 2mm. What is the best way to seal the gap? Pics below.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Rather than fill I would chop back the front about 20mm and insert a new timber screwed and glued to the old, any filler will soon fail.
The gaps can be filled with frame sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links