Gaps at bottom of upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just wondering if it is normal or OK to have some gaps below a upvc window. Its difficult to describe but here goes...i'll try and get some pics later.

Most of the windows sit nice and squarely on their sill.

However the kitchen window seems to have been placed such that it juts out a little bit over the sill like below:

| window
|_
_|#
|## sill

Because of this there is a little gap underneath along the length of the window.
The gaps are more prominant at both ends as this window is quite long and thus it bows a little in the middle (i assume it is able to bow a little in the middle as it doesnt sit square on the sill?).

I filled the gap underneath with a sealant but just wondering if this is advised?

And lastly...this is a timber framed house, one of the windows had no sealant around the outside but the rest do..the builder said its not actually necessary but he put some on anyway...is this true?

Thanks![code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hey Crank39,

Sorry for not responding earlier...i appreciate you making the effort to answer my question with images etc.
We had a new arrival in the family and its been hectic...only just remembered about this thread now that things have settled a bit!

Its not quite what i mean, my attempt to draw the window/sill with keyboard characters didnt come out right.

I'll need to get a photo of how the window sits on the sill...i dont think its an issue but was just curious. I'll try and post something soon (but i understand if you've lost interest!!!).

Thanks again....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back