Sealing internal UPVC – some 5mm gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped the cracked and loose silicone from the bedroom window UPVC to wall and sill interface. There was also an inch wide flat strip of UPVC on the window sill which I have taken off.

I was going to seal around the UPVC frame but wasn’t sure whether to make good some of the slightly larger gaps first as there are a few around 5mm.

Would you fill those gaps first and then silicone. As you can see in the photos there are a couple of 5mm gaps near the bottom and on part of the sill but the rest is a few mm only.

Also any thoughts on a half decent white sealant for the internal side?

Cheers
macker6464

Sponsored Links
A gap like this is sometimes too small to fill/plaster and too big to seal, in time whatever option you choose ends up cracking! I'd put a 20mm cloaking fillet on the head and sides, small quadrant along the bottom.
Seal with caulk where the trim meets the wall and window board, finally seal where the trims meet the window, we use Stelmax 1965

5 to 10mm is fine.
I would recommend:

Get some Wurth acrylic sealant http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wurth-Acr..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item20c7bc8d95
Clean the frame thoroughly first preferably with solvent cleaner.
Masking tape a straight line across the top about 4mm away from the plaster.
Caulk it and run your finger in both directions (make sure you really pump it in there), Then paint it straight away and take the tape off.
Do the same with the sides then the bottom.

You will have perfectly straight painted edges. The caulk may shrink a little and crack the paint in a few spots just touch them up with some paint after a few days.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back