gaps in suspended timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have a question about floors and I wondered if anyone could help?

I have just moved into a new house that has suspended timber flooding under the ground floor with a 4 foot crawl space below.

Whilst routing some cables through the crawl space, I noticed that there are some large gaps between the space and the rooms above. For example, there is a gap around the edge of the kitchen - which the slugs seem to like - and one really big gap - say 40cm by 15cm. The best way to describe it would be a cat flap down to the crawl space.

The gaps are hidden under units - but it does seem a conduit for insects and anything else that finds its way into the crawl space (we're in a rural location so all sorts of fury and slimy animals wander around at night!)

I know you need ventilation down there - and we do have plenty open air bricks down there - with good ventilation.

But the question I can't find the answer to - does there need to be ventilation between the crawl space and the rooms above?

Can I fill the strip around the edge of the floor with expanding foam? can I seal round the pipes? can I fill the cat-access to the space without causing damp and other problems?

Thanks!

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
if it was mine then i would.
as you have said if you have enough air movement for the oversite/flooring then fill any gaps with either foam or fibre glass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys.. One more question. Do I need to leave room for expansion at the end of the room?

Some guides suggest it's critical and some don't even mention it.

I'm going to lay some new chipboard flooring soon so want to get it right from the word go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back