Suspended Wood Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a traditional wood suspended floor with 3 feet of crawl space below.

I have used loft insulation held in place with wire between the joists.

I am wondering if I used a foil material like a space blanket under the joists and insulation, stapled to the joists to add to the thermal efficiency of the job, would this present any problems in the future - condensation, rot etc?

Cheers

C.

Sponsored Links
having already insulated between the joists, you really won't get much benefit. plus your wood could suffer rot being sealed in.

id look elsewhere for performance gains. pipe lagging, insulated plaster board, external windows and doors etc.

Do you have draughts blowing through the floor? Draughts will completely negate any insulation as they bypass the trapped air completely. However as you say if it's below you'll risk condensation.
Either put a breathable membrane underneath (less recommended), or better, put a barrier on top (warm side) of you can get the boards up.

Sponsored Links
Or even just caulk around the gaps in the floor from above would get you 99% of the way there with draughts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back