Garage Burgled - Are garage door locks easy to open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning to find the garage door wide open and all my best bikes nicked. I'm reviewing the CCTV, but it was dark and wet. What I can't understand is how they unlocked the garage?

There is no sign of forced entry, I'm just wondering if garage lock keys are easy to open or master keys easily available ?

It was one similar to this:
Up_and_over_garage_door_lock.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can't open the image but garage doors are ridiculously easy to open. My friend was telling me how his insurers require anti theft. devices to be on the bikes inside the garage.

You image doesn't work. But yes, garage doors are very easy to break in to! Sorry to hear of your loss, and the malfunctioning CCTV. It's almost as if someone knew you had nice stuff in there to nick?

Nozzle

I have several motor bikes

My garage has a four point lock but I also chain the bikes together, have an alarm, and also chain one of the bikes to the door handle so you'd need to drag it forward to open the (up and over) door

In the past I have also propped a bit of timber up so that the garage door can't open inwards at the top

I have rear entry through the house

Sorry to hear of the loss
There are some @RSE holes around

Sponsored Links
It was an unusual situation of opportunity it seems. Normaly we park the big car on one side and the little one on the other, so the big car (large 4x4) blocked the cctv. I also have a motion grid, to exclude people walking along the pavement. Switched the PIR lights off too as they were annoying. First time I've ever been robbed, so haven't done bad. Lost about about £2-3k worth of bikes, but they'd be 5k to replace. We're going on holiday in the Moho in a couple of weeks and now don't have bikes, so I'll be buying at the worse possible time.

anyhow S**t happens

I could pick that lock in around 10 seconds. Is there another access method for the garage? Ideally, you'd secure the garage door from the inside with lockable drop bolts.

I have that type of lock on my garage door, I rely on it to prevent the door blowing open in the wind.

As my garage has a personal door at the back, I use padbolts on the inside of the garage door. But it could be barged open by bashing a vehicle into it.

If you have access through a personal door, you could use a barricade bar on the inside, and an alarm that sounds inside the house.

Bikes are attractive targets.

They'll be back when you have time to buy another.

currently got a car wedged against the door, so you'd have to move that first. not impossible but more hassle. Baracade bar looks good as there is an inside door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back