garage ceiling contains asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a garage which has a felt roof on the top and looks as follows from beneath. I have been told that the sheets underneath these battens are asbestos but they are entirely harmless unless the sheets are disturbed I.e. Shaken, drilled, etc.

Is this true?

Secondly, I'd like to plasterboard this ceiling and compound fill the plasterboard joints. Is it safe to do this and will this make the place even safer? I'd also like to do this for aesthetic reasons.

Attachments

• WP_20151214_001[2305843009213878232].jpg
    WP_20151214_001[2305843009213878232].jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Yes a long as you do not disturb it, might be kind to any later tradesman to put a note on your new plaster board warning it is there though, to save him merrily drilling through it. (y)

should I be using any special dust mark whilst screwing plasterboards to the battens

Sponsored Links
Certainly worth taking that precaution (use a minimum of a P3 rated mask) and some disposable overalls, even if you don't expect to disturb it. Just screwing into underside of the battens shouldn't stir things up but don't use anything like an impact driver or drill on hammer to do it.

Good advice on P3 dustmask as a precaution. The cement based asbestos board is at the lower end of the risk for asbestos. The fibres are bonded with cement and even when broken up still have cement stuck to them making them heavy and sink - not easily respirable. Drilling and sanding those boards however is a big no-no. The real asbestos problem is the pipe lagging type stuff. Horrible shyte

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back