Garage ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, would appreciate some advice if at all possible.

We moved house a couple of years ago, and the master bedroom is above the double garage. The bedroom has always been quite cold, and when I finally got around to investigating why, I discovered that although the ceiling of the garage beneath is boarded with insulation board, there is a 9" gap of thin air between the boards and the floor boards of the bedroom above. The bedroom has wooden flooring too, which probably doesn't help.

So I'm thinking that insulating the garage should make a big difference. Question is, how best to do it?

1. Tear down the boarded ceiling in the garage, insulate and re-board.

- expensive, messy and probably needing professional help

2. Take up the flooring and floor boards in the bedroom, insulate and re-floor.

- messy and time-consuming, plus we have fitted furniture which I assume goes over the floor boards, and therefore I would need to cut the floor boards too

3. Cut holes into the garage ceiling and blow in some form of insulation

- I got a reasonable quote for this, but have since been told that it will lead to sweating and damp, so is not such a good idea

4. Cut holes into the garage ceiling and push insulation roll into the gaps

- bit of a pain as the trusses are only 34 cm apart, so would require lots of holes and therefore lots of patching up!

Any comments on the above or additional suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ben.

Sponsored Links
Afternoon all, would appreciate some advice if at all possible.

We moved house a couple of years ago, and the master bedroom is above the double garage. The bedroom has always been quite cold, and when I finally got around to investigating why, I discovered that although the ceiling of the garage beneath is boarded with insulation board, there is a 9" gap of thin air between the boards and the floor boards of the bedroom above. The bedroom has wooden flooring too, which probably doesn't help.

So I'm thinking that insulating the garage should make a big difference. Question is, how best to do it?

1. Tear down the boarded ceiling in the garage, insulate and re-board.

- expensive, messy and probably needing professional help

2. Take up the flooring and floor boards in the bedroom, insulate and re-floor.

- messy and time-consuming, plus we have fitted furniture which I assume goes over the floor boards, and therefore I would need to cut the floor boards too

3. Cut holes into the garage ceiling and blow in some form of insulation

- I got a reasonable quote for this, but have since been told that it will lead to sweating and damp, so is not such a good idea

4. Cut holes into the garage ceiling and push insulation roll into the gaps

- bit of a pain as the trusses are only 34 cm apart, so would require lots of holes and therefore lots of patching up!

Any comments on the above or additional suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ben.

I would take down the garage ceiling and insulate from underneath.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back