Insulating Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

As part of a proposed bedroom refit, I would like to insulate the floor of our bedroom.

It is built over a garage and quite cold.
The cavities and (flat) roof are already insulated, so doing the floor would finish it off.

The garage ceiling is lined with PB and covered in pipes, including a soil pipe and cables. The alternative is to go from above, removing the T&G. The only sticking point there (no pun intended!) is that the floor in the bedroom is covered in linoleum tiles.

There is a possibility (I guess) of putting insulation on underside of the existing garage ceiling and relining it.

Which route would you take?

Sponsored Links
Can you remove enough of the garage ceiling to push in insulation batts between the joists, without disturbing the pipes?

Or you might be able to get grey polystyrene beads pumped in. I've not heard of that done under floors, but I can't think why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for your reply!

In some places, yes. But others, no.

The beads sound good, but I worry about two things:

PVC cable affected by polystyrene.

Airflow cut off introducing damp.

I could put some galv conduit up to the sockets to protect the cable.

Can you fill the underfloor channels completely and avoid any potential damp due to restricted air flow?

Cheers!

Yes you do need to protect cables.
The beads are more vapour-permeable than e.g. solid celotex boards; there are spaces between them, and only enough glue is added during installation to stop them just pouring out if you later make a hole in the ceiling for some reason.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back