Garage construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm 'slowly' looking into my options for building an attached small garage & Utility on the side of my house which is currently a driveway. (getting ideas while i save up the cash!!)

The reason for this is to gain a downstairs WC +Storage so i can get the old asbestos sheet garage out of the garden.
So wouldn't want to put a car in the garage.

The issue is width, from my house wall to the neighbours garage wall is about 2350mm.

I've seen you can get 6'6" wide garage doors, (not sure if it's +the frame width) so i could fix the frame to my house wall, but then i'd need a brick pillar the far side to attach the door.
What would be the minimum pillar width i could get away with?

Also is there any such thing as an integral gutter? as ideally i'd want a hipped style roof to match the house, but then i'd loose more garage width to be able to fit guttering on the side. as aposed to just at the back if i had a flat roof.

Any ideas welcome, i hope i made sense.

Sponsored Links
You can get garage doors in any size BTW although there may be minimum limits. The masonry nib would need to be min 190mm AFAIK. You can get internal gutters but they look a bit naff and need more thought when designing/building. Usually not practical if you have an existing gutter you are trying to line up with though.

Thanks for the info, i have been looking around & thought i'd probably be able to get a 6'6" door (don't know how that would look being 7' high??) the garage door on there is more for the right look, as not for getting a car in.
I have guttering on the front & back that the new one would need to attach too, so internal guttering (never heard of this!) would be idea for width but not so much for attaching to the existing!
As for the masonry nib, i assume the 190mm wide would be one brick width, follwed by 2 bricks on top the other way etc..?
So with my 2350mm width (assuming i'm ok to build right up the the neighbours, actually it'd be around 179mm away i suppose?)
1981mm door +190 nib = 2171mm
that would leave me 179mm, maybe slightly more if i fit the door frame to the back of the nib?
Would the 179mm be enough for the faciaboard/guttering?

Anything i'm missing here? (like is the 6'6" door the opening width you need or do you need to addon extra for the frame??)
i know i've not really got enough room for a garage so it's going to be close.

Sorry for the dullard Questions! just trying to work out whether it's a big waste of time & money going further with this.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back