Any ideas for a narrow doorway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to make my garage water-tight. Part of that will be having it re-roofed, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get a good seal around the door at the rear of the garage. The problem is that the passage is too narrow for a standard door, measuring just 550mm.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem. Currently there's a wooden "gate" hinged on one side that bolts closed against the wall of the house where it hits. This arrangement leaves a gap between the roof of the garage and the door (in red). Any ideas what I could do? Ideally I want a proper door that seals closed against a frame. The pillar supporting the outer wall by the gate is just a single brick.

View media item 25607

Sponsored Links
I'm wanting to make my garage water-tight. Part of that will be having it re-roofed, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get a good seal around the door at the rear of the garage. The problem is that the passage is too narrow for a standard door, measuring just 550mm.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem. Currently there's a wooden "gate" hinged on one side that bolts closed against the wall of the house where it hits. This arrangement leaves a gap between the roof of the garage and the door (in red). Any ideas what I could do? Ideally I want a proper door that seals closed against a frame. The pillar supporting the outer wall by the gate is just a single brick.

View media item 25607

Then you will need a non-standard door !
Surely you would get a door made to measure or cut down a wooden door to size ?
Simon.

I think a photo would help enormously. As Simon says, you could cut the existing door down to fit, and make a frame to suit, then cake it all in a good amount of exterior gloss.

Gary

Put the door and frame on an angle similar to as it is now, and form a canopy above it or extend the roof over

Can't you put the doorway in the side of the garage?

Or (if the door can open inwards) remove the 100mm nib (to give a greater opening) and fit a standard frame and door so that one side (the hinge side) is on the inside and overlaps that garage/house wall

Sponsored Links
Or (if the door can open inwards) remove the 100mm nib (to give a greater opening) and fit a standard frame and door so that one side (the hinge side) is on the inside and overlaps that garage/house wall

Bingo! I knew there was an easy answer. That should work perfectly.

Somebody else suggested I use one of those roller-shutter doors that pull down from above and are made-to-measure which I was almost sold on, but I think I prefer your idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back