Garage door on a carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We want the front of our carport enclosing and a garage door added.

The carport is sturdy with two sides being brick wall (the house and a rear wall), one side being timber (posts and slats) and a solid roof with proper joists. I'm not an expert but it feels to me like it's the best part of the way toward being a garage as it is.

Anyway, we want a garage door putting on the front which will of course include building some amount of framework and installing the door itself.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what would be involved. Can it be done by building a timber frame for enclosing the front, or is this not suitable for a garage door? Anyone done this before or something similar?

Any info welcomed so I can start to get my head round what's involved.

Thanks!

Andy

Sponsored Links
garage doors come in standard sizes, so you will need to find out what size door that would fit your opening, this may mean the need of a timber frame/case being installed.

As I recall, when I asked about this, I was told that a carport has to be open on 3 sides, in which case it does not need planning permission. Once you start turning it into a garage, it does.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back