Newbie builder has questions on a foundation for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm a newbie to construction although I have done quite a bit of DIY projects and am mechanically inclined. This spring I am planning on enclosing my carport to build myself a garage/work room.

I am going to use a single row of cinder block, filled with concrete to layout the non load bearing wall of the garage. My question surrounds the opening for the garage door which will be an 8x6.6 door. The instruction sheet says the opening needs to be 8 feet or the size of the door. I'm assuming they are taking into account the 3/4 inch or so capping on each side of the door? So my rough opening would be 8 feet 1.5 inches? I'm sure this is a dumb question to an experienced person, but I'm learning over here.

Thank you in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Robrote, hi

You may not be aware, but this site is based in the UK not in the USA, as such, any advice given over here will possibly be contrary to various regulations in the USA

Obviously, codes of practice are literally oceans apart, sorry about that attempt at a joke.

I have a feeling someone on the board will be able to direct you to a board based in the USA?

Over here the brickwork is framed with timber about 1 1/2" thick. You say "instruction sheet", look and see if there are long fixings that need to be used to keep the fixed part of the frame true against the pull of the counterweight springs. 19mm thick wood will not hold any fixings longer then 16mm. Of course if you are truly ambitious, fix the frame directly to the brick work. I suspect that a cinder block is both soft and hard, so drilling accurately into one is neigh on impossible.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back