Garage Conversion Self Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 6 meter x 2.5mtr attached garage with a side gable roof and single brick skin. We have spoken to planning and building control and can extend the front fascia forward to meet the front fascia of the house (about 2mtrs forward) and change the roof to a vaulted roof.
The boiler (3 years old) is at the front of the garage and we want it at the rear but obviously don't have a internal part of the cavity wall as of yet. Also, at the rear is a back door which we want to move to the side of the garage to open into our private alley.
and the problems :)
1. Where the door needs to go to, is exactly where the strengthening pillar on the side of the garage. When the roof is replaced, this will be removed and a normal cavity lintel can be used, but until then can I use a concrete lintel or is that a bad idea. I need to move the back door to allow the internal block work to be built up before the roof is removed to reduce the time the house is much less secure (and my boiler open to the air)
2. The rear wall where the backdoor currently resides, is a double skin brick wall with a tiny cavity. removing that would be bad for now as that wall supports the roof. Would you just leave it and create a standard block cavity in front of it? is there a better way of doing that?

I am sure there will be more questions but thanks for this for now

Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back