Garage Consumer bust following buliding work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hopefully someone may be able to oofer some advice regarding a faulty Contactum Metal supply that has been installed in our shed.

A little history....... We have a 10 way split load unit in the kithchen which has an RCD for one side of the box. The shed is wired from the RCD side with SWA cable, terminating in the metal Contactum Unit which just has a DP switch, 16 AMP MCB internal sockets and a 6 AMP MCB for the lights.

The only isue we had was using a pond pump via a timer (plugged into a socket) whereby it would trip (not sure how often). The pond has long gone and all has been well with no problems until...

Had some work done in the garden and the chap claimed it kept tripping when using two bits of kit together. I pointed out that the 25m extension should be unwound as it was not rated for much when wound and that may be an issue.
The work was completed and we sat outside and decided to put the light on and nothing. Both MCB and DP switch in the shed were in the on position and the MCB in the kitchen is on.

Something is obviously wrong and I will be contacting a qualified sparky but wonder if the DP Switch has failed (it is rated at 100A). All switches move on/off freely but no lights or sockets work.

I have come across a second hand DP switch as these boxes seem to be rare; should I buy one or will it be best to wait and see?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that your getting 240v at the top of your main switch (the supply from the house)?

If not, turn off the mcb that supplies the shed and get a sparks in to check your swa to the shed and your internal wiring(shed)

The DP switch is rated at 100A. I have never seen one that has failed on account of building works.

I have had lots of instances where electrical installations cease to work because of building works. These are usually because of stupidity by said builders, but never the failure of a 10OA DP switch

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. The works was non invasive (paving) and well away from the cable. The grinder kept tripping, now no power at all but not managed to check supply yet as no meter until tomorrow... As it is notifiable may just call a sparky in and save time.
As it is not normal to damage a pd switch things seem a bit beyond me as the light mcb doesnot work either.
Will update once problem found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back