garage conversion - 3 new rads - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please,
I'am doing a garage conversion and need to install 3 new rads in total. I have a feed coming into the conversion (15mm, inlet and outlet) done by a builder at an earlier date, currently just capped off.

I have plumbed in the 3 rads and the pipes now all need to be connected up to the system.

What is the best way to do this?

My thinking is that I continue the feed and create a loop linking the 2 pipes coming into the garage to each other and then take individual spurs from this loop to each new rad. Is this correct?
To add further to this I don't know which of the pipes into the garage is the inlet and outlet. Does this matter as long as I fit all the rads the same way?
Also I want to connect the new 'system' to the feed coming into the garage with stop valves so I can turn it all off if there are leaks in any of my new joints. Is this ok?

Any advice will be very helpful thanks!

Sponsored Links
View media item 18393
Trace the capped pipes you have at present back into the house to your heating system. Turn the heating on from cold to find out which pipe is flow - ie. the one that gets hot first. Fit the TRVs to the flow side of the rad if you can, although its not crucial as most quality ones are bi-directional.

Add full-flow lever isolation valves where you are joining to the capped pipes to isolate your garage rads. Don't use the cheap ones that are found under sinks, as these can restrict the flow.

Thanks for the info whitespirit. Thats pretty much the way I had in mind. Thanks for the tip on full flow lever isolation valves - I was about to use the standard ones like under the sink!!!

I take it the full flow ones can be bought from all the usual places -Travis Perkins etc?

One more thing. Are there any problems with the increased volume once the 3 new rads are added to the existing system in the house?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
One more thing. Are there any problems with the increased volume once the 3 new rads are added to the existing system in the house?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back