Garage conversion - air gap and electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

I’m in the middle of a diy garage conversion. At the moment the stud walls up and I’m now thinking about electrics

Before I go further I will be asking an electrician to pop over/offer advice and perhaps quote on doing the more skilled parts of the job, but before I do this I’d like to educate myself on a couple of things first and hoping for advice.

The stud work has been built with ample air gap. There’s a small section where the air gap is about 20mm, but 90% of it there is 50-100mm. The plan is to fill the stud work with PIR and run insulated plasterboard over the top.

So the actual electrics…

Given the air gap would you choose pin the electrics to the brickwork behind the stud or run the electrics though the stud work?

And I’m planning on using plasterboard socket boxes,,, I’ve never used them before, but I’m assuming there’s not a reason not to on insulated plasterboard ?

Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If clipping the cables to the masonary behind keeps them clear of the insulation, and running them through the studs would not, then the former is the thing to do.

As to plasterboard boxes on insulated plasterboard, you'll find you'd struggle to open the clips, youd have to hack out the insulation. As this is a new job why are you wanting to use dry line boxes? fit noggins and metal knock out boxes and set them so that the front edge is a few mm back from the front face of the plasterboard pre-plastering (proud would seriously upset the plasterer and behind the rear edge would leave a gap into the wall - but given that you have 12.5mm to work with, you dont have to be too precise)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back