Garage conversion external wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wonder if you guys can advise me on something.

I'm thinkin about having my integral garage converted into a new kitchen in march/april and I have had a few builders quote me on the work.

Some suggested dot/dab external wall, some suggested batton/board the external wall but today when I spoke to building control over the phone they suggested that it's unlikely that the external integral garage wall has an cavity insulation therefore I would need 50mm or so Celotex and then plasterboard. Why did none of the builders mention this?

I don't want to accept a quote from someone and have a nasty suprise when Building Control request insulation behind the plasterboard which will all of a sudden lead to extra costs not included within the quote.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how you would finish the wall, i'm not a massive fan of dot/dab and it's going to be the wall holding all the kitchen units.

I'm also assuming that new footings will need to be dug for the wall/window taking place of the garage door.

I have been quoted £4500 for all the internal work inc electrics and plumbing however the same person quoted £2480 to block up the garage door including window and materials which to me seems very high. Is that about right?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
If the wall was an insulated cavity you could just float and skim it, i,e, normal sand and cement and plaster finish.

The fact that they specified they were going to batten it suggests that they meant batten it out fill with insulation and then board and skim. However of course this should have been detailed in the quote if that was the case.

Bricking up the garage door is often more involved than people think because often the footings have not been carried through the garage door but simply stop under the walls at either side because it's a waste of concrete to fill the space that supports nothing. As a result it needs a new fooundation dug and poured.

Hi all

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how you would finish the wall, i'm not a massive fan of dot/dab and it's going to be the wall holding all the kitchen units.

Mark

My daughter recently had a new kitchen and garage built. We specified plywood directly behind the plasterboard on the walls that would carry the wall units as one of these was studded.

Also the garage was built cavity construction but definately had no insulation.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure what the question is.

Building control have already answered it.
There is no cavity wall, so it will need 50mm Celotex. then plasterboarding.

Or build a inner cource of brickwork with thermalite bricks, but this would still need insulation behind and then plasterboarding over.

If your builders who quoted havnt mentioned it, ask them why.
Also did they know they were building with building control checking each stage. They may not of realised.

As for the footing under the garage door, i dout there are any, even if there were, building control will want a inspection hole dug to see them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back