Garage conversion advise

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, was just concerned that if I go the celotex to inside wall route then I obviously can't insulate behind the boiler and fuse box and wondered if building control would find that a problem or not.

was just concerned that if I go the celotex to inside wall route then I obviously can't insulate behind the boiler and fuse box and wondered if building control would find that a problem or not.
Probably accuse you of creating a 'cold spot' and sentence you to a firing squad. :p

Its the same as if I take my car to a garage and ask the mechanic to fix it.
Your analogy is flawed.

Buildings and their components are constantly updated so the rules governing what can and can not be fitted within a structure are somewhat dynamic.

A builder who has been away from the reg's game may struggle with very latest in structural and thermal reg's, even if he has been absent for as little as 12months!

The components in a Ford Mondeo will principally be the same in ten years time.

Sponsored Links
Nah, I think the gist of it is that when you pay someone to do building work, then there is an expectation that they know about relevant regulations - even if it is just a basic awareness that certain regulations may apply, then they can then make themselves more aware of the relevant regulations to any particular job.

IMO, its good practice to keep up to date with regulation changes that may affect their day-to-work, and if several people quote for a job, then those that can demonstrate more knowledge of relevant regulations would be in with a greater chance of winning the work instead of someone that is still working to obsolete regs from the 90's

Trouble is woody that you rely on chance nothing more. If the builders a good bullsh*tter where does that leave a naive tight client? At least with a set of drawings (which I acknowledge could also be a bag of sh*te) you have something to use to get like for like quotes and have a little leverage during the build. The Forum is littered with muppets who relied on their builder and a Notice to see them through!

Really though when all's said and done the need to choose a good builder through recommendation or reputation is more important than anything else.

That is why I am saying put all the risk on to the builder. No plans are required if the builder is instructed to "build to current regulations", and then he only gets paid when the work is signed off and he has completed the contracted work - ie built to the regulations.

The builder can bulls*** all he likes, but if the BCO fails the work, the builder must put it right at his own expense before he is paid

Something is not right here, this thread has been seriously tampered with; WTF are you up to Mods? Most of what I posted on both threads seems to have completely disappeared & the bit I was going to answer tonight (about possible help cos I live in Norfolk) is no longer on the thread. Maybe who edited both threads hasn’t got clue but this isn’t just tidying up, it’s censorship. I’ve been on DIY for years, it’s apart of my daily life & this is the first time I’ve had such a problem but maybe you just think it’s time I went to Screwfix!

Guys

I have just had a quote from a builder which comes in a approx £1500-2000 cheaper than the next lowest price.

It includes:

dot/dab internal walls
Raise floor with dpm, celotex & chipboard to match existing floor height within the house,
Battern one wall and board to meet depth of a pillar in the garage
Open up stairwell wall to create room for a fridge
Board ceiling to one level (and insulated pitched roof section)
Brick up garage door and install window (includes footings if required)
Repositioning of existing radiator and knock through to hall.
Basically everything except elecs, and decorating.

It's come in at £4275 which seems very good to me. I've also called a couple of references he has provided which were sound, think i'll go and take a look at his work before doing anything though.

He has said the price will include anything not covered which building control request.

Should I be scared off by the good price and the fact it's much cheaper than the other quotes I have so far?

Thanks again

Mark

There is nothing wrong with a cheap quote, itemised work schedule and a feel of whether you want to do business with the guy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back