Garage Conversion Floor - wood or concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I am converting my attached garage, the house is 20 years old. My semi-retired builder has suggested a wood floor, two sleeper walls at each side then two in between giving a span of about 4ft. The 4x2 joists and 22mm chipboard of the top.

My questions are is this the best method giving modern building materials etc?

Is a concrete floor easier, insulate then just pour a slab on top? My thoughts are at least the insulation is easier to install and no air bricks to put in.

Is rigid insulation supported between the joists the best method for the wooden floor?

Any guidance greatly received.

Many thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Insulate and screed. You would only bother with a suspended set-up if you had a big height difference. Even then its still questionable if timber suspended is the best way forward. Which begs the question what is the height difference?

Hi,

I have now drilled through and it is a 250mm difference between the floor heights. DPM then 125mm of insulation then 125mm of concrete?

Thoughts are much appreciated.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back