Garage Conversion; lining a single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our intergral garage converted to a living room.

Whats the best way to line the single skin wall? Its single skin housebrick with breezeblock piers. I seem to have a choice between a stud partition set in from the wall or "bitumen" the wall then fix battens to it and fix the plasterboard to the battens. (the bitumen forming a water vapour barrier)

The building inspector inferred a stud partition yet on another job our builder did, another inspector said bitumen and battens were fine.

Which is best???

Any advice much appreciated.............

Sponsored Links
I.M.O any mechanical fixing into a single skin of brickwork is asking for trouble as this will attract the damp when fixing through the battens into the wall.
A tanked render is the best option 2:1 mix folowed by 3:1 mix onto a blackjacked (tanking bitumen) surface.

Just to confirm, we've been told to put 1" celotex on between the battens (if battening the wall) or 1" (but will probally put thicker) celotex within the stud partition if that options taken.

I take the point about the battens on the wall but if you had a stud partition and an effective cavity, wouldn't the cavity need to be vented otherewise the stud work might get damp? or would you bitumen the wall anyway. Maybe I'm not understanding all this properly!!??

Reason for asking this here is that I wanted to make a start this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Can you not build a timber stud wall without having to touch the wall just by fitting to top & bottom wallplate with approx' 2" gap cavity then air-vent brick below the dpc ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back