Garage conversion & plastering/plaster board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my ignorance here but I have a couple of questions regarding converting my garage to a man cave/dedicated home cinema type room.....

I live in a 3 bed semi house with an attached single garage to one side of the house (the side of the house that’s not joined to the neighbours). The previous people who lived here had the garage partly converted to a spare room........ about 2/3 of the garage is currently a room accessible from the main hall way in the house, the remaining 3rd is still used as a garage/storage area and has the up and over door on the front, so from the outside you would initially think it's still a normal garage.

Anyway....... this room tends to get rather cold (does have a radiator and insulation in the roof) and after a little bit of investigating (removed electric socket back box from the wall) it would seem there are wooden batons on the internal breeze block wall then plasterboard on top of that. There is no insulation between the breeze block and the plasterboard, which probably isn’t helping, and as yet I’m not sure if there is any insulation in the main cavity between the outside brick wall and the internal breeze block wall.

So, (now getting to the point here, sorry for the life story, lol) I came up with the idea of knocking the dividing wall out to open it up to the full size of the original garage, put a window in where the garage door is at the front of the house (there is another window down the side wall already) and make it into another room for a home cinema type setup.

My main questions are............. 1) Would it be better to baton the wall and re-cover with plaster board again, bearing in mind this is only a single garage so I don’t really want to add too much to the walls and in turn lose space. The current plasterboard is literally only the depth of a back box off the wall (give or take a few mm) so not sure you would get much insulation between the block and the plaster board?

2) Have the main breeze block walls skimmed/plastered straight onto rather than using plasterboard (not sure if this is recommended) and get some type of cavity wall insulation done as I don’t suspect it has any at the moment due to it originally being built as a garage?

Any advice appreciated, sorry for the long post ;)

Sponsored Links
You can have the cavity filled in, by having the insulation blown in from either the external or internal walls.
If you are removing the boards to plaster, then it would be best blown in, internally as it will not damage or disfigure the external brick work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back