Plastering my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm fitting a small utility area at the back of my garage with some worktop and cupboards on the wall. Following building work the back wall has ended up a combination of brick, breeze blocks and some smaller areas of cement infill, so I'm looking at plastering it. Part of the wall backs onto the kitchen and part is single skin external wall. What type of plaster finish would you suggest? Other thing is there are a couple of water pipes and electrical cables running down the surface of the wall for the washing machine, what's the easiest thing to do about these when I plaster?

Sponsored Links
With what you describe i would use a render mix keeping it from contact with the garage FFL.
Without a pic i cant tell if there's any possible water/elec danger?
Even in garages there are recom safe routes for cables.
But at least cover the cables with galv steel channel, and keep the water pipes on the surface insulated and clipped

so it’s internal, but part single skin?

Hi, half of the wall is a single skin brick external wall and the other half backs onto part of the house. I was a bit concerned about possible damp issues in the single skin external wall area.

Sponsored Links
agreed. priority is to make it watertight externally. maybe create a false stud wall internally , independent of whats there.

With what you describe i would use a render mix keeping it from contact with the garage FFL.
Without a pic i cant tell if there's any possible water/elec danger?
Even in garages there are recom safe routes for cables.
But at least cover the cables with galv steel channel, and keep the water pipes on the surface insulated and clipped

Hi, thanks, so a concrete render and would you normally add any additives to make it damp proof?
The water pipe goes straight down the wall and is currently clipped and insulated. The electricity cable runs down the wall in a plastic trough. They are not that close together.
Is batterns, insulation and plaster board a suitable alternative to render in a garage?

sand and lime or sand and cement render is good to use with or without a water inhibitor.
metal channels give far better protection from fixings or bumps than plastic channels.
Render or board and batten - either is suitable depending on circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back