Cheeper to plaster before or after adding door in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a door and possibly a window added at the back of my garage and also want the breeze block walls plastered. My question is wether it will be cheeper to get the wall plastered first or after the door and window is added.

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
It is pointless plastering walls prior to having doors/windows formed.
Why?

I had a door put in a previous house and removing the plaster where the hole for the door went was easy - the builder just ran a Stanley knife around a line he'd marked out and took the plasterboad out. The door frame trimmings then covered up the ragged plaster edge. I thought this process might be easier, take less time and so be cheeper than the plasterer having to work around the door frame.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I agree with PBOD and Steve - get it plastered after.

I had a door put in a previous house and removing the plaster where the hole for the door went was easy - the builder just ran a Stanley knife around a line he'd marked out and took the plasterboad out. The door frame trimmings then covered up the ragged plaster edge. I thought this process might be easier, take less time and so be cheeper than the plasterer having to work around the door frame.

For the point you raise - plasterboard when secured to blocks is usually with dot and dab. Normally you secure the edge of the board with a line of adhesive and large dabs across the middle. If you cut out, you can have an edge left with little support. You'd have to squeeze in drywall adhesive round the cut edge to make sure it's all secure.
You may also find that any knocking of brickwork could crack any boards or plaster on there.
It is just easier to have the plastering (or at least the finish skim) done afterwards.

It is pointless plastering walls prior to having doors/windows formed.
Why?

This is different scenario altogether, there will be situations where it is possible to form openings within walls without causing too much damage, especially if the wall is a stud partition. Trying to form these openings in masonry is often much more difficult without causing invasive damage.
Oh course if the wall was already plastered, it would be worth a go, to see if this can be accomplished with minimal damage or remedial work having to be carried out later. But you are suggesting plastering the walls first not forming openings in an existing plastered wall, so I stand firm on my recommendation, "it would be pointless to plaster the wall before making an opening in it".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back