Garage Conversion Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking at having a garage conversion done soon and just have a couple of questions. Its use will be for a bedroom with an ensuite.

The garage runs directly over the sewers so I'm interested to know if we will just be able to just break into those for the soil/waste from the ensuite ?

Our gas meter is also located in the garage, on the wall attached to the house near the front, it comes direct from the floor to the meter then along the wall to the back of the garage, its running right across where we would want our door to go. This door would join the hallway to the new converted room.
If my understanding is correct from reading other threads, I can ask the gas board to move the meter, if I were to move it to the back of the garage, I'm just wondering how they'd route the pipe, would this be under the garage floor ?

Cheers,

Marvin

Sponsored Links
heeellloo marvin

if your converting to a habitable room youll need planning permision
you will also have to comply with building regs [insulation head height ect]

you cant go into a main drain without a nice big drain cover [i believe]

moving the gas pipe will be expencive :cry:

Thanks big-all for the advice.

Do you know what the minimum head height is or at least where I can have a look for it ? I'm slightly worried about that.

When you say without a drain cover, you mean one must be already present ? I assume its not ok just to add one ?

Re the gas pipe, I read somewhere that it would be in the region £300ish, is this way off ?

Cheers,

Marvin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back