Garage conversion to Golf Bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping to build an indoor golf bay in my detached garage and am after some advice before I commit to laying out some money on what are expensive bits if I find it's not really feasible.

The problem I have is that to allow a golf swing I need to remove a couple of joists. I've attached the dimensions of the garage below. Its a wood build with a thin plasticy veneer attached to it. Basically between the wood supports its just a couple of mill plastic. The roof is just chipboard with felt overlaid.

I have a total of seven joists running across the garage (not counting the end frames). They are spaced 600mm between them. Short of getting a structural engineer in would it be safe to remove 2 of the joists that are next to each other - ideally I'd like to remove 3 but this might be pushing it I think.

If I remove 2 how do I go about strengthening the truss bits. Can I simply nail another joist between the truss but higher up and strengthen the other untouched ones.

Im new to this but understand that removing the joists will could cause spreading as the roof pushes down. But with it being simply chipboard and felt how bad would this be.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

B
Dimensions.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back