Garage conversion to kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just wondering if someone is able to help me with a question about my "U" value.

I have an existing garage which is attached to the house and my plan is to knock through. (All planning & regs agreed)

The garage is a standard cavity wall and is 5.8 x 4.5m, ceiling height 2.5m. Front window is now where the up and over garage door was and another window and door at the rear. I have no insulation under the garage floor but need to bring it up level with my existing house floor by 50mm. (So not much room for insulation under the floor.)
The building inspector wants me to insulate to the max, but wouldn't indicate what would be the minimum.

What I need to know is what kind and amount of insulation would be required to reach the required "U" value. I can put a good thickness of loft insulation in but am not sure I want to fill the cavity walls as I've been advised against this due to possible damp issues. Is there some kind of insulated plasterboard I can use? If so I wouldn't want this to be too thick as it would reduce kitchen space, which would upset the wife. Maybe I could use 2" x 1" battens with some kind of modern insulation behind the plasterboard.
Ideally, I'd like to put in as much loft insulation as possible and just use standard plasterboard on the block walls but not sure if this would be enough.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Jamie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back