Garage demolition removing concrete lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. On here for some advice. I'm taking down my brick garden shed. Across the garage door opening there is a concrete (possibly steel inside) almost 6 metres wide lintel spanning the entire opening and resting on two piers.

We're struggling to find the safest and best way to remove the lintel without risking the rest of the walls on the sides of the garage collapsing, and ultimately knocking down both next door neighbours fences and sheds.

I went to the hire company today, with the idea of hiring two beam lifters which will support the beam as we remove the piers, and supporting the beam as we remove brick by brick and therefore slowly lowering the lintel down. However the hire company think this wouldn't work due to the weight limit of each beam lift only supporting max 600kg each, and feel it could break the beam lifter and would be too difficult to lower each side of the lintel down equally.

Does anyone have any ideas how they would go about removing the lintel?

Attachments

• IMG20210228124722.jpg
    IMG20210228124722.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the idea of the Telehandler. Only thing is with the garage being at the back of my house, I will struggle getting a telehandler down there

Sponsored Links
what dimensions is it?
a B&Q concrete lintel that's 100x 100 (probably smaller than yours ) is 14Kg per metre
That might give you an answer?

Could you get a set of builders' trestles and support every 2M?
If you cut the centre 2M out but supported the lintel from side wall to trestle, on each side, would you be able to cope with that weight?

Prop it and use a breaker on it.

Personally I would just push it off the front!

Watch out for that potentially asbestos roofing down the side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back