Garage door manual release

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct place to post but it's about a door.

The property we moved into has a detached double garage. The only access is an electric garage door. From the mechanism inside there is a steel rod which goes through the brick work to the outside. The end of this rod is blunt and rusted. I'm assuming this is the manual release mechanism but there should be a hook eye on the end to put the hook in for turning the door manually.

If that is the case are these easily replaceable? I have seen pull cable releases on ebay and the like but nothing to match what I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Lhbmb, hi.

A couple of things? are there any makers marks on the system in the Garage? if so then a quick look on Google will "hopefully" get some information as to how the release system works?

I am "cautious" about some sort of hook and Eye system to manually make the door operate? a "relatively simple" hook and eye that could allow the door to be operated without the need for a key / lock / or other owner designated device seems slightly "dodgy" in that any "Jack the Lad" could access the garage by turning a bolt or Eye at the rear of the Garage?

The system appears "flawed" in that if the Garage door can be "operated" without the need for a Key or similar then anyone could access the Garage ?

Must admit I am a wee bit confused [ not un-usual for a Scotsman ]

Ken

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I'll see if there is a make on it anywhere. Your observations are fairly sound in terms of anyone being able to access it so I'm wondering if I'm just missing an end piece that is removable/attachable as and when needed as I have a turning handle with a hook.

More research needed I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back