Garage door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone offer advise on how to open my up and over garage door please? The lock is working fine but the plastic handle you twist to open the door is stuck. Is there a way to get it open. Should I drill it out or will that damage the mechanism inside.
Desperate dad as my lad wants his bike out the garage..
Thank you
Steve

Sponsored Links
Might help if you post a picture of the handle.
Strange for the lock to operate but the handle not turn I wonder if something has fallen inside the garage and is jambing the mechanism, worth trying it while banging the door with the flat of your hand.

Are you able to get in through a door or even window? Then put lots of WD40 on ALL moving parts. If from the outside try and squirt WD40 into the lock. We had a stuck handle and it was just corrosion and the WD40 did the trick.

If this does not help it is the drill you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Is it a normal up and over?
I.e. One that locks by a top central catch?

You might be able to fashion a tool that is forked on the end and slim enough to slip through the door gap at the top. Pushing it into the centre might catch the wire that is normally pulled by the handle.

That's how I got into my old Henderson door.

My new door has four point locking and uses rods, not wires.

It seems to have two catch bolts either side just below half way down. Thats what I can see on either side of the door. It has a large coiled spring running across the top and looking at the neighbour's garage has two wires running from the top on angles to each side.
Ill try the wd 40 first as hopefully its that simple :)

garage sorted. Thank you. My son had hung off the mechanism inside causing the handle rod to bend. Therefore when you twisted it it couldn't engage properly. I had to use gemmy bar to prize the door open and then straighten it. Thanks for all your help people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back