Opening an 'up and over' garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I turn the handle on my garage door it will not open. I cannot feel any resistance on the handle, making me think the wire connecting the handle to the catch has broken/ become disconnected. As the mechanism is on the inside of the door, how do I get the door open. :?:

Sponsored Links
if the door is fairly old, it may only have a single top latch. this is usually accessible by removing the top slamming strip on the cross bar at the top of the frame.

the top latch pin can be worked downwards and out of its housing using a screwdriver or similar. you should be able to push the door open from the top.

'tis a wee bit trickier if you have a three point spring loaded mechanism.

Thanks for the advice noseall, but how do I remove the top slamming strip :?:

MOD 2
this is getting a bit near "how do i burgle a garage" people :eek:

Best bet - call a locksmith who will have it open in no time, and with the least amount of damage to the door. They will also be able to secure the door once open.

Have to agree with the Mod on this - information on openings needs to be carefully considered before posting. You don't know who you are passing the information onto, and the board is open to the general public.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, never thought about it like that. Anyway the advice I got was enough for me to get the garage door open. Thanks to noseall for pointing me in the right direction. As far as 'burgling a garage', judging by the noise I made getting the door open I had better not give up my day job ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back