PVC Door Opening problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I opened my back door this morning and it was fine. came back in, pushed the handle up to activate the locks and it felt weird. tried to open the door again but no luck.

Really had to foce it to open the door.

now, the door opens but the handle is floppy. So...you open the door and the handle stays down. You push the handle up and the locks engage but the handle stays up.

Everyhting works apart from the handle reverting to its central position albeit everything feels a little stiff (not much though).

It feels like a spring has broken. Does this sound like a sensible diagnosis. is there even a spring and if there is how difficult is this to replace?

Many thanks peeople

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a spring gone or a cam worn.
The lock needs to come out of the door and the lockcase split open. It can be a pain.

Carefully remove the screws and open the lockcase, now take pictures of where everything is. ( So you know how to put it all back if it all dislodges)
The broken spring should be obvious.
Take to local locksmiths and see if they have a replacement.

although not all lockcases can be taken apart, probaly be easier to order a new multpoint. imo

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help guys.

Do these lockcases come in standard sizes? I.e. will it be easy enough to source one as a direct replacement?

I think will try and open the current one on the weekend, if possible, and take from there but i gather i will probably end up with a new lockcase.

Thanks again

Loads to choose from you will need to get the manufacturer which should be stamped on it and a few measurments but if they are still avaliable it should be easy enough to source online

Thanks guys.

Took it all apart at the weekend. Cant get into the lockcase as rivetted together.

Noticed that one of the linkages from spring to other mechanisms has bent and forced its way out of the lockcase.

Decided to just break this off and put all back together.

Everything works but handle is just spring less now. IE when u open door, handle stays down and when u push up to activate all locks the handle stays up.

However, it all works fine so its staying like that lol

You can buy handle springs for a couple of quid that may return the handle to its original position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back