Lock on PVC door won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need help please, been out to a PVC door which is not locked but cannot be open. The handles just spin around loose so they are not engaging the mech. I took off the handles and push down the mech with a screwdriver but still does not engage the mech so I am unable to open door. How do I get the door open so I can change the lock and mech?
Thanks really appreciate your advice:)

Sponsored Links
When ever i've come across this i asked to see if any other doors in the property were the same, then take a look which way the rollers/cams/hooks go, measure roughly where they are and the use a kitchen utensil, the long thin flexible spatula thing, slide it in near to the locks and lift up or down depending on how the other matching door works.

Only been on a few basic locksmith courses myself that work organised but we were never taught stuff like this, maybe in another course so i devised this way myself and its served me well over the years.

Good luck :D

Add a couple of glazing shovels to your bag, and use these to spread the door away from the frame in order to manipulate the mechanism with a screwdriver (or kitchen utensil as mentioned above - good idea :idea: ). You can buy purpose made door spreaders, but unless you're likely to come across these on a regular basis they aren't worth the investment.

Sponsored Links
is this the only means of getting in?
can you not take it off the hinges? no pins etc to remove nowadays?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back