can't open my door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just discovered that i can't open my tilt & slide patio door,the mechanism that opens the door is knackered i took the handle off and the spindle to investigate, and the bit inside that the spindle goes into fell inside the door so i can't open the door. the part that the spindle goes into seems to have broken away from the part that unlatches all the catches...

Sponsored Links
Do you know the company that fitted it?
Although moving parts are normally only covered by a 1 year warranty the company that supplied them is your best bet for getting the parts, They may also be the most likely to do a good price on the repair.

As a general rule tilt and turn mech's are an absolute pain in the ass, Unless you have a lot of experience repairing them I wouldn't touch it.

i've just discovered that i can't open my tilt & slide patio door,the mechanism that opens the door is knackered i took the handle off and the spindle to investigate, and the bit inside that the spindle goes into fell inside the door so i can't open the door. the part that the spindle goes into seems to have broken away from the part that unlatches all the catches...
cheers for that the patio door was already in when I moved in seven yrs ago somebody has suggested the only way is to take the beading then the window out to get access inside of the door.

That probably wont give you any more access to the locks, Removing the glass from the door will give you more play to bend the frames to get some thin tools in to bash the latches open.

Try getting some quotes on both repair and replacement from local window company's and locksmiths.
You may find its going to cost not far off the same price to replace (preferably with something not tilt and turn). If so just go for new at least you will have a new door with guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Yeah right! Ask for quotes both for the repair and replacement. You then weigh which of the it is cheaper and with guarantee that it won't happen again.

As the lock mechanism is already broken is it still possible to fit the spindle in the lock or is that bit gone?
My thinking is if it can still register it in the square lock barrel piece you might be able to clamp a set of grips on the spindle end, open the latch to the horizontal position and push the door in from the outside. Once the door is loose from the frame it can be removed either by lifting the door free (works for some) and or unbolting the door from the slide brackets, Just be aware of the weight of the door, might need two for this procedure. Once off you can best figure out how to remove the broken bits in the door sandwich and replace the whole lock assembly.
I believe crank39 is more familiar with this type of door mechanism, perhaps he could offer some more advice...pinenot :)

See if a local locksmith can give you a quote before giving up on your door!

There could be a simple solution, the first thing is to get the door to open, and then evaluate what has failed. Tilt & turn windows are very complicated, but can be repaired and adjusted for less that the cost of a new window.

search for a local locksmith company, not a glazing company, who will want to sell you a new window!

find a MLA company, such as Bradley's of Blyth, or Newcastle Locksmiths IIRC, of a local business with a real shop or trading address, as there are many shady companies hiding where they trade from, making it difficult to contact them if anything goes wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back