Garage door project discussion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm after some assistance and advice.

Currently my garage door is your normal up and over jobby and it's AWFUL! the gap isn't 100% square, floor is slightly out so the standard door doesn't seem to really fit (almost 1/2" gap in places)

So it needs to go.

We're not intending to put a car in the garage (which is lucky as if you look at my other thread you'll see that I've put a partition wall in) so I don't need to maximise width, but I do need to be able to get the motorbike in and out.

I was thinking of making a 1/3 2/3 split door, side hinged so I can access the garage easily via the 1/3 (2/3 after a pizza ;) ) and when I want to use the bike I can open the 2/3 part too.

I'm not even fussed if there's a bar down the middle to make things more secure - like below.
9ccc62446df67c74223fcbb7583f242c.jpg

Now I won't have windows, and the threshold would be an issue if I did this completely as per the picture, but it's similar to what i'm after.

I need to put a gutter in the bottom too as water does come in about 2' if it's really chucking it down - which isn't a huge issue as I've solid floor tiles in that area which keeps everything off the ground anyway but if I can stop it I may as well try.

Equally I'd probably have the doors open out rather than in - just to maximise space in the garage.

We are looking to extend the house long term, which would mean a wider garage but that's years off so I want something that'll do the job for the next 5-10 years

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

i'm after some assistance and advice.

Currently my garage door is your normal up and over jobby and it's AWFUL! the gap isn't 100% square, floor is slightly out so the standard door doesn't seem to really fit (almost 1/2" gap in places)

So it needs to go.

We're not intending to put a car in the garage (which is lucky as if you look at my other thread you'll see that I've put a partition wall in) so I don't need to maximise width, but I do need to be able to get the motorbike in and out.

I was thinking of making a 1/3 2/3 split door, side hinged so I can access the garage easily via the 1/3 (2/3 after a pizza ;) ) and when I want to use the bike I can open the 2/3 part too.

I'm not even fussed if there's a bar down the middle to make things more secure - like below.
9ccc62446df67c74223fcbb7583f242c.jpg

Now I won't have windows, and the threshold would be an issue if I did this completely as per the picture, but it's similar to what i'm after.

I need to put a gutter in the bottom too as water does come in about 2' if it's really chucking it down - which isn't a huge issue as I've solid floor tiles in that area which keeps everything off the ground anyway but if I can stop it I may as well try.

Equally I'd probably have the doors open out rather than in - just to maximise space in the garage.

We are looking to extend the house long term, which would mean a wider garage but that's years off so I want something that'll do the job for the next 5-10 years
Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back