Garage doors behind a roller shutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm working on weather proofing my garage / workshop. I'm spending more time in there during the winter months tinkering and it's very cold and a little bit damp.

My first order of business is the roller shutter, I've got quite a nice big electric roller shutter (Approx 4m x 2.5m) and the wind whistles through it along with an easy path for heat to escape. The 'cassette' ? is mounted internally on top of the two guide rails the roller shutter sits in.

My initial thought was fit some sort of bi-folding doors inside the shutter, I have ~80cm - 1meter either side of the shutter these can be folded into, however it probably means I have to channel the floor to lay a rail? and the same for the ceiling. I still want to preserve access to the shutters cassette for maintenance. Another thought was to build some similar doors, or barn doors after constructing a frame with an access port to maintain the shutter. There is some degree of rain washing in when it's blowy out so there needs to be consideration for using water resistant materials.

Wondering if anyone has done similar or has ideas / advice? Moving forwards I plan on eventually using timber to stud the walls and fill these with PIR board, the construction is currently brick with thermalite blocks, no cavity which isn't great for retaining the heat but I figure the shutter is the biggest issue to investigate first.

Sponsored Links
Can't you make a clip in internal cover from wood sheets.
Rubber and brush seal.
Outside will look the same but internal will be sealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back