Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing garage with a single light, 3 separate controls (1 inside the house and 2 in the garage) and 2 sockets.

I want to insulate the garage, box off the boiler in there and separate the space into a cycle store (front 1/3) and a laundry /drying room incl. deep freezer (2-3/3). I’ll be expanding to two lights and at least 4 sockets (not including the boiler)

I need the old wiring removed and the new installed (or runs I install made live). Does that realistically mean budgeting for 2 days of an electrician? And a CU specific to the garage?

Sponsored Links
At a guess you need to budget at least £1000

Bear in mind the supply to the garage might need upgrading too, as might your earthing, bonding and main consumer unit

So without a site visit it’s almost impossible to say what’s final total might be or how long it might take.

Why do you think 2 days ?

Is this a detached garage? There being a switch for the garage light in the house might ring faint alarm bells, I've come across two instances where a 4core was run to a garage, two of the cores being L&N of a submain to the garage board, and the other two being the strappers of a two way lighting cirucit, where the feed to common was either picked off a local lighting circuit in the house, or off the breaker feeding the submain. the neutral from the fitting then returned back to the neutral bar of the garage board, presenting a borrowed neutral situation and just waiting to get someone who isolated at the garage board main switch.....

I'm not saying yours is like that, but worth being mindful that it could be like that!

Why do you think 2 days ?

1 day to remove/move everything that is there to a position where I can start building the wall structures and ceiling insulation

1 day (some point weeks after) to wire up the new system. Or make it live if I’ve run the cables.

I don’t see how I could build all the relevant walls and cable runs with the existing conduit in place and have a spark swap it over and make it live in 1 day.

The garage is attached and adjoined to the mains supply cupboard. So a CU and any power upgrades should be possible and relatively within simple budget.

Sponsored Links
1 day to remove/move everything that is there to a position where I can start building the wall structures and ceiling insulation

1 day (some point weeks after) to wire up the new system. Or make it live if I’ve run the cables.

I don’t see how I could build all the relevant walls and cable runs with the existing conduit in place and have a spark swap it over and make it live in 1 day.

The garage is attached and adjoined to the mains supply cupboard. So a CU and any power upgrades should be possible and relatively within simple budget.

Only site visits could give you clarity .............. and you seem to have conveniently ignored my other comments about your set up too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back