Garage en bloc modifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Yet more questions from me about my new house!

So I've got a garage en bloc... The bloc has a peaked roof so i wanted to put some beams across the garage at approx 2.80m height to use the remaining space for storage. My question is: where do I stand in terms of being allowed to do this.

The garage is made of what looks like big cinder blocks. The two main beefy rafters are bonded in with cement/mortar (or something like that) into holes in the wall, and I imagine they run through more than one garage.

Can I drill into the cinder block walls and install brackets to support 4"x2" beams using 4 M10 bolt spreading anchors? What is the standard depth of a cinder block.. my conern is that I want to be able to drill into it, but obviously not drill all the way through it into someone else's garage!

Am I allowed to drill and mount brackets into the walls as the garage is a communal bloc (even though the particular unit is part of my own freehold)? This applies not only to the beams but to things like shelves and tool racks?

I'm obviously not structurally changing the wall or making any significant alterations to it but thought I'd double check with you guys as it's my first house in the UK where the laws are somewhat different and interesting!

Thanks everyone

Pavel

Sponsored Links
No idea, it's your garage.
Put it this way, would you be allowed to drill into the wall to put up shelves?
Same difference.

What do you mean storage? A loft type floor for storing boxes and crap, or just a couple of beams to store lengths of timber and ladders from?

consider making some legs to the floor - like a massive table construction :idea: so it sits within your garage and the load is shear- then you`ll only need some small fixings into the shared walls to stabilise sideways shift of the legs - I knew I should`ve been a structural engineer ;) :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back