Garage extension and conversion ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

We have a smallish project to extend a double garage, put a pitched roof over it and convert it to living space like an annex.

The garage is 5.7m x 5.7m and will be extended 2.5m sideways, to 8.2m x 5.7m. It will be divided internally to bathroom, kitchen, bedroom and living area (all rooms quite compact).

The new foundations have already been built. For the remaining of the work, I have received very expensive quotes from local builders - one was around 75K + VAT ...

Because the garage is so small I have not received a detailed quote, just a total price. I have no idea how much I am being charged for the materials/work/additional cut.

I know these jobs need to be done:

1) build one wall (the new side over new foundations)
2) brick up the remaining garage walls on the inside as it is single brick and it will become double brick and insulation inside
3) build 3 internal dividing walls
4) place cellotex over the floor and 50mm screed
5) make a new pitched roof
6) a couple of windows and a front door
7) put some kind of flooring down and kitchen bathroom units - both kitchen and bathroom are tiny and basic

This is it in a sense.

I am not sure if I am on the right track but I think it might be cheaper to me if I could pay someone by the day and I buy the materials. If we estimate this project to be 3 months, 12 weeks, therefore 60 working days. What prices would I be charged for one main builder and one assistant?

thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
You need to be very careful paying daywork to people you don't know (skill and performance) for anything more than a couple of weeks. That's a blank cheque.

What you need to do, is send out a proper specification that is itemised, and get the builders to price the various elements of work. It's called a tender. Not let the builders tell you what they want to do.

And be prepared for the building inspector requiring things tom be done differently to what your builder wants to do, so who pays for that?

How did the builders know what they were quoting for? Have you had drawings prepared ? The usual procedure is to prepare drawings ,obtain planning permission,then building regulations approval ,then obtain quotations from builders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back